Christmas time at the Honeymoon Covered Bridge.

tn_Jackson Covered Bridge 12-4-2016-12This covered bridge was built by Charles Austin Broughton and his son Frank. Charles Broughton lived on the Broughton dairy farm on the east side of the Saco River. During the Civil War he was a sergeant in the 18th Regiment of the New Hampshire Volunteers, Company E. He was a finish carpenter, an avid fiddler, and a skillful bear hunter. For ten years he was an agent for the Swift River Lumber Company in Albany, New Hampshire. According to town records, the sidewalk was added in 1930. Originally, the trusses were more exposed than they are today. In 1965 the approach from N.H. Route 16 was rebuilt to improve visibility and to provide parking. The Honeymoon Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.#newhampshire #mtwashingtonvalley #coveredbridge #snow

Comments are closed