The bridge was built by Captain Charles Richardson and his son. When U.S. Route 3 was reconstructed in 1939, the Groveton covered bridge was bypassed. It was repaired by Milton Graton and his son Arnold in 1964-1965. A water supply line is suspended beneath the bridge. The Groveton Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.